Example Work — Disability Rights Advocates
WCAG Web Content Accessibility Guidelines AAA Accessible Website Design, Logo Design, Production
Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is a non-profit law firm dedicated to protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities. DRA advocates for disability rights through high-impact litigation, as well as research and education.
Website Redesign Project Scope
Due to DRA's wide range of user demographics, it was determined the redesigned website should be accessible to the largest audience possible by adhering to the W3C World Wide Web Consortium Priority 3 (AAA) WCAG Web Content Accessibility Guidelinesand by designing a simple user interface employing straight forward, easy-to-use navigation. Additionally, the client desired a warm color palette, specifying a shade of red to be used as the predominant color. Finally, a design priority would be to facilitate easy and efficient maintenance.
Website Redesign Solution and Implementation
Collaborint designed an accessible website with a pleasing, user-friendly interface while displaying the main content's black text on a white a background for maximum contrast and readability. For ease of maintenance, PHP Hypertext Preprocessor, an open source, server-side scripting language, was used for dynamically generated navigation.
Accessible Website Design Highlights
- Various types of navigational aids are provided throughout the site including: "Skip Navigation", "Help", "Site Map", "back to top", and "Site Search"
- All navigation and text is styled using CSS Cascading Style Sheets, enabling the user to resize text according to personal preference
- Minimal use of imagery results in faster loading web pages, especially for dial-up users
- An alternative, print-friendly style sheet is available for all files
Additional Production Features
- Section 508 Compliant
- WCAG Priority Level 3 (AAA) conformance
- Design is completely separated from structure using CSS and standards compliant XHTML Extensible Hypertext Markup Language 1.0 Transitional
- Efficient website maintenance is facilitated by extensive use of CSS combined with a single template design and PHP to dynamically generate navigation.